Are you a good listener?

by - 11:12 AM

i am currently taking an Interpersonal Communications class for my Communication major and i seriously love this class! every time i go i always learn so much and we discuss things that we deal with on a daily basis- communicating! our world is FULL of several communication channels- self-talk, face to face, blogging, facebook, texting, interpersonal, mass communication, its everywhere.

yesterday we talked about Listening. it's something that i feel everyone thinks they are a good listener, but are we really? i had a news flash about a month ago when my sister (who i share an apartment with) told me that i wasn't a good listener. at first i was taken back. i thought that was one of my strengths! not a weakness... but i decided to take her advice in becoming a better listener. i can totally see a big difference in my relationships with family, friends and those i communicate with by taking the time to really listen to what they have to say.

i decided to create a motivational poster from my notes i took in class. Listening is an act of service- it changes everything. i just love that! i don't think you really realize that when you take the time to listen to others, it is an act of service. i'm sure you love it when someone takes the time to listen to you, so why not listen to others as well?

How can YOU become a better listener?

  1. Talk less > stop talking about yourself and focus on the person you are with
  2. Get rid of distractions > put your cell phone in your pocket, close your laptop, drop everything and really listen
  3. Don't judge prematurely > listen first, process what they are saying to understand it, then evaluate before responding
  4. Look for key ideas > focus on the key idea of what is being said to retain the information

i know that if you really take the time to listen to your friend, spouse, roommate, boyfriend, family member, etc. then your relationship with that person will become stronger and deeper.

happy tuesday!

You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. I love this post!! Makes me want to change the way I listen. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have SUCH a hard time with #2. I totally feel like I can multitask and text and listen at the same time, but it's so not true. I can't do ANYTHING while I'm texting ; ) I've been especially putting it away when talking with my husband, it's something that bugs him a lot.

    Jenn

    passengerseatperspectives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your poster! How did you become so good at design?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks martha! just a lot of practice and an eye for it? not sure haha

      Delete
  4. yes, I totally agree. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to leave you a little blog luv! Def enjoyed reading this post!!def some great tips you shared

    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post! You are so right. I think it's really hard to be a good listener, a lot harder than most of us think. I know a lot of time I think that I'm listening to my husband but then I discover that I really wasn't because I don't remember what he said. I still work at it everyday.

    ReplyDelete

leave us some love

xo, him&her