PHOTOGRAPHY Q&A / part one

by - 8:03 PM



a few weeks back, i had all of you post your questions on what you want to know about photography. thank you so much for your responses! i've done my best to answer your questions. since there were so many, i will have a few featured posts, divided into separate sections so it is easily navigated! you're welcome, and enjoy! (if you have further questions, feel free to comment)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
PHOTOGRAPHY FOR BEGINNERS 

What would you say are the most common mistakes that beginners make (technically, artistically, generally, whatever!)? Do you have any tips for beginners looking to improve?

I definitely made mistakes when i started into photography. It's all part of learning and growing! But some suggestions I have for beginners is first, to always find the best light. Lighting makes or breaks a photo. When shooting portraits, make sure there is light in your subjects eyes. Try to avoid harsh sunlight (look for open shade under a tree, building, etc). One way I test how the shadows will look is to hold my hand out like a barbie and look at how the light sets on it as you move it back and forth. 

Artistically, definitely get creative! I was once taught to try out different angles (and I don't mean tilting your cameras) and use your resources. If there is a tree you could climb, do it! If you don't mind getting lower to the ground, why not? 

Technically, be aware of your surroundings when shooting portraits. If something is in the background that is distracting, then switch your angle to get ride of it. I always try to "crop" in camera so that I don't have to worry about using Photoshop to edit out my mistakes. 

Generally, find your niche, your style, YOU and once you do, stick with it. Keeping consistency is key and that is how you will build fans who love your work because of YOU and your style. It may take some time, but be patient. It will come naturally. 


I have a 50mm f/1.8 lens, I'm looking to buy another lens (I like shooting portraits) what would be the next lens you would recommend?

I would recommend the 80mm f/1.4 lens. It's my second option lens for portraits. You can read more about this lens here.

 More photo tips and tricks after the jump!

What tricks do you have for holding a camera steady?

I've demonstrated in the photo above on how to hold your camera. Holding your lens from the bottom will help you keep it steady. When kneeling down, you can rest your arm on your leg for extra support.  

How do you get great action pictures (ie, flipping hair, etc)?

The best way to do this is having a fast shutter speed, your widest aperture (lowest f/stop number: ex f/1.4) and a higher ISO, probably 200-600, again, depending on your lighting.

I always have trouble getting good shots indoors or with low light. Any tips for that??

Since I am a natural light photographer, I mostly shoot outdoors. But there have been several occasions, especially recently with the bitter cold weather, that I have shot indoors. The best thing to look for is good light. Window light is my favorite- it is natural and gorgeous! Find a well lit room with light colored walls to create ambient light. The closer your subject/object is to the window, the better lit it is.
Low light situations can be tricky. I mostly experience low light situations when I am shooting wedding receptions. Use your lens with the widest aperture (lowest f/stop number) to let in the most light. Bump up your ISO to your liking- however, the higher the ISO, the grainier your photo will look (more noise). When in doubt, bring a flash along to create the light source. (honestly, I don't own a flash! but it is my next photography purchase)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Here's what you can look forward to in the next photography Q&A:
Starting your Photography Business
How to gain more clients
How I do my post processing/editing images
Posing & interacting with your clients in a photo session
+ more!

You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. I have been reading your blog for a while and I love it! It is so cute and well designed. Thanks for this post, I have been looking for a new lens and you definitely helped me out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say YAY??!!! Thank you so much for doing this. Looking forward to more :]
    {Em♥teatreevintage.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Thank you! I definitely need more help in this department. I still have yet to learn how to use all the settings on my camera and get to know my camera better. -Jessica L

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started dabbling into photography over the last year, so I appreciate any insight from a seasoned photographer. Thanks girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really great tips! I´m recently started my own blog so all of this is new for me. This is really helpful, thank you! :)

    http://marilovescupcakes.blogspot.com.ar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Thanks for sharing your tips:)
    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks so much for this post i love hearing other photogs tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great tips, thank you so much for sharing - especially for breaking it down into words that you can understand if you're not a seasoned photographer (yet).

    ReplyDelete

leave us some love

xo, him&her