on taking better portraits
i thought it would be fun to create a post about a few tips on how to create better portraits. whether you like to take photos of your family and pets, or you are a fashion blogger, mother or photographer yourself, i hope these tips will help you out! i love helping those around me improve; so hopefully this inspires at least one person today. i must say, photography takes a lot of practice, practice and more practice to capture amazing photos. don't give up if you are frustrated! just keep dragging your friends out to the park to pose for you because you'll get it in no time... and if you're still stuck, let me help you out.
side note: all these photos were taken on my NikonD90 camera with my 50mm f/1.4 lens. read this post for more information on my camera gear!



20 comments
thanks for the tips girl! seriously these will come in handy!
ReplyDeleteK
glad i could help! :)
DeleteI LOVE THIS! Will be pinning! :)
ReplyDeletexo,
janmloves.blogspot.com
I'm having a giveaway on my blog if you're interested :)
thanks for your pinning support! haha :)
DeleteThanks Andrea, many good tips here. =)
ReplyDeleteSeriously. This is awesome. Thanks so much.
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Rachel Nicole @ Summer Breeze
rachyracheshobbycorner.blogspot.com
I'm glad it helped someone! Thanks for coming by Rachel :)
DeleteThanks for the wonderful tip! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome!
Deletei love these tips! i was wondering if you could explain how to read a lens... they often say 1.4-5 or something and then they have a length descriptor as well.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to help! So there are prime lenses (50mm, 24mm, etc) or zoom lenses (24-70, etc) Then the second number shows what the lowest aperture can go to. The lower the number the bigger the aperture (so if you have a lower number, there is more blur in the background. the lower the aperture number, the more expensive the lens is) Aperture is normally found with the f-stop in front of it: example is f/1.4.
DeleteDid this help at all? Let me know :)
Great tips and great photos!
ReplyDeleteKaeli
Kaeli
The Broadcloth
Great post. I've just ordered myself a new camera with a 50mm f/1.4 lens, and I'm so excited! I haven't received it yet but as soon as I do I'll be coming back to this post.
ReplyDeletelove your blog, newest follower :)
the 50mm 1.4 is my absolute favorite!! i'm excited for you :) i use that lens about 90% of the time.
DeleteGreat advice! I had to go check out your gear post. I have a D90 as well, and I'm in the market for a new prime lens! I have a telephoto lens but I'm not happy with the clarity I'm getting with it. I have my eye on that 85mm!
ReplyDeleteif you don't already have a prime lens, i would highly recommend the 50mm 1.4! it is a perfect go-to lens. the 85 is definitely a great lens as well, just depends on what purpose you are using it for. either way, good luck!! the nikon D90 has treated me well :)
DeleteI absolutely loved this post! I've been really seriously considering getting into photography. I love the idea of being able to capture moments, memories and the life of those around you. I was just curious what you did and how you got started into this little profession / hobby. Did you take classes? I think my top two things I need to learn are how to use photoshop and learning more about camera terms (i.e. apature, etc.). Did you teach yourself or is it something you would say is best learned in the classroom?!
ReplyDeletexo TJ
I started my senior year when we had to do a senior project- i chose photography. I took a class on how to use your camera (all the settings and using manual mode) which was super helpful. The rest, I just taught myself and stalked many photography blogs, read articles, and practiced on friends and family a ton! Then I had people starting to ask me to do their photos and that's how i started my business! I rarely use Photoshop now- the best way to learn is to get everything right in the camera than relying on photoshop. Once you know how to get it right in the camera, you'll be very successful! So i think it's great to take a class on the basics, then teach yourself the rest and ask others. It definitely takes time to get better at, just like any other hobby. I hope this helped you out! Just holler if you have any other questions. I'm thinking of doing more posts about how to do different things for photography, so any ideas of what you'd like to learn would help me with that! :)
DeleteThese are great tips, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOh, yay! I am so glad I clicked on your "As of Late" section in the sidebar and read this! I am even MORE excited now to get my 50mm f/1.8 lens in the mail! There are some really great tips here that I wasn't aware of. Thanks so much for sharing!
ReplyDelete♥Emma Deer
leave us some love
xo, him&her