discovering your talents | improve series
graphic design and photography are my ways showcasing myself and the way i interpret the world around me. growing up i tried all kinds of things- ballet, tap dance, gymnastics, volleyball, art & drawing lessons, piano, etc. and i quit all of them. i didn't want to stick with something if i didn't care about it. my parents had me try all kinds of hobbies but i felt like a quitter and nothing captured my interests.
i was always the artistic child in the family and when asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?" i would reply "an artist or a vet!" (i was also very much a puppy and dog lover)
going into college almost 2 years ago, i had absolutely no clue what i was going to major in. i love teaching and would play "teacher" with my sisters when i was little, so i thought, why not become a teacher? that lasted for about a semester. i wasn't happy with that decision. i weighed the pros and cons of that field and with my parents help, i decided not to choose that. i was so worried that i would go into a career that i wouldn't love.
my senior year in high school is when i got into photography. i loved photography. i loved portrait photography. i LOVED making people feel good about themselves when they saw how beautiful or handsome they were in their photos- i knew this was a talent i wanted to develop to bless the lives of others.
starting a photography business was slow and indecisive. i couldn't make up my mind with my brand name (used to be Bri Photografie), my personal niche of photography, my style or my logo design. this is what sparked my new coming love for graphic design. i loved creating logos. i loved designing my website and blog. i LOVED being creative! there were endless possibilities.
i researched and narrowed down what i thought i wanted to do and i finally figured it out. all these years- i knew what my talents were! (took long enough...) i wanted to continue my photography business and have a graphic design business. i knew i wanted to be a mother, and my own business owner so that i could do both.
i am happy now.
everyone is unique and has so many talents to offer. you may feel like a quitter. you may feel like you don't have any specific talents. but let me tell you- you DO have talents to offer this world and to bless others with. everyone came to this earth with talents to develop and share. maybe you aren't good at sports, but you may be an amazing listener. maybe you aren't artistic in any way, but you may be someone who always thinks of others and so you serve them.
i found an amazing talk that will help anyone out that feels lost about finding their talents:
How can you discover your talents and improve them?
- Get yourself out there and try new things!
- Spend time perfecting a skill or talent you already have
- Take a class—try public speaking, drama, cooking, flower arranging, car maintenance, swimming, or diving.
- Join or organize a community sports team
- Grab a cookbook and prepare a meal for your family or friends
- Serve others in different capacities.
- Don’t underestimate the talents of being an honest, good, and kind person
- Pray- The Lord will always help you know of your divine talents. He wants you to develop your skills to bless others
i'd love to hear about your special talents :)

12 comments
Love this post! I still have no idea what I want to do but I am enjoying what I'm currently doing right now :)
ReplyDeletexo,
janmloves.blogspot.com
as long as you enjoy what you're doing then you'll be happy :)
Deletethis was so inspirational to read!! have a great day!
ReplyDeletethanks jamie! :)
DeleteHi there! Thanks so much for leaving that sweet comment on my blog. I LOVE the layout and simplicity and beauty of your blog, and I've only read a few posts so far. And then I got to looking at your photography website, and seriously, I'm looking for someone to take my pictures right now, so if you'd like a little publicity, let's chat and work out a deal. I'd love that :) But anyway, back to your blog. I'm your newest follower!
ReplyDeleteBrooke
liningthecloudswithsilver.blogspot.com
thanks for stopping by brooke! i'd love to chat about doing photos and publicity is always good :)
Deletelets talk - andreabrionne.blog@gmail.com
Love this post and love to hear when people have found what they want to do in life. I want to lean a little more about photography. Nothing too crazy just want to learn how to take photos that are worthy of hanging on my walls at home. :-) We are following you via GFC!
ReplyDeleteJayme @ Her Late Night Cravings
to answer your wishes, i'll have to do a photography post to help you out :) its a great feeling when you take a photo that you love and hang it on your wall to share with others!
Deletethanks for stopping by!
I love that talk so much! I used to think that I didn't have any great talents - I was okay or good at a lot of things, but not GREAT at anything, and it was really hard for me to figure out that I have talents that aren't really as easy to showcase as singing, or ballet, or sports. I figured out that I'm a great leader and a great public speaker and a great listener. I think it's really important to find those things that make YOU great, instead of comparing yourself to those around you and their talents!
ReplyDeleteI think that being a great leader is way more important than say ballet because you can be such an amazing influence on others! And being a good listener is something the world needs more of always :)
Deletejust discovered your blog and I love it : ) so inspiring!
ReplyDeletexo SideSmile,
Ashley
sidesmilestyle.blogspot.com
It's so serendipitous that I come across your blog and this post when I've just had an epiphany about discovering (or honestly identifying) my talents. I'm a big dreamer...so it's been quite a challenge to find a passion I can focus on. I just came to the realization that rather than focusing on all of the wonderful things I would like to be doing I need to start by looking at the things I'm good at first...this will lead me to the 'talent' or opportunity. It's been an interesting exercise. I've learned a lot about myself along the way.
ReplyDeleteGood for you for finding what truly makes you happy! It's an amazing feeling.
I'm looking forward to listening to the talk you shared.
leave us some love
xo, him&her