steps to living more naturally
while i was visiting home in seattle this past week, my mom recommended the book No More Dirty Looks. it's all about the truth behind beauty products and how you can learn to read the ingredients and choose your products more wisely. just like reading the labels of your food items, we should be doing the same with all the products we use on our body. reading this book has been such an eye-opening experience for me, kind of in a scary way (!!!) about how much we trust the products to be okay for our bodies, when really they are packed full of toxins. shampoos, body wash, all kinds of make-up, you name it! we should especially be aware of the products we use on a daily basis. scary huh? if you're looking for an end-of-the-summer read, i definitely recommend it. disclaimer: be ready to make some lifestyle changes once starting the book. you won't be able to resist.
so, naturally, i picked up my make-up bag and started throwing away the foundation i've used for years and any old make-up as well (it was time for me to clean out my make-up bag anyways). since my parents started using baking soda as their shampoo and apple cider vinegar for their conditioner already, i went cold turkey and started it too. i was so surprised how soft my hair was afterward!! it felt clean and so soft AND i didn't have to wash my hair for a couple days (whatt??) personally, my hair didn't get as greasy fast but it may for some people depending on your hair type.
just like changing your food lifestyle to be healthier and more natural, why not change what you are putting on your face and body? i've decided that it's totally worth making little changes in our lives to live more naturally and it's way easier than you might think. it's especially been on my mind lately thinking about how i want to raise our future children so that they are healthy and happy. which means that it's time to change my habits now!

9 comments
we've never used soap on our 3 month old daughter for this reason. and i'm working on it for me too, though i find the absolute hardest thing is finding natural deodorant that works! love this post.
ReplyDeletei'd love any tips you may have! a deodorant that i have now and so far have liked is from Whole Foods : Alba Botanica brand and it's the Clear Enzyme Aloe Unscented with baking soda and lichen.
DeleteI've heard that This deodorant (http://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/35641572/deodorant-cream) works wonders, but I haven't tested it yet! :)
DeleteAnd I'm on the same quest as you. No More Dirty Looks sounds interesting! I might add it to my reading pile!
I've been reading about the apple cider vinegar and baking soda for a while now, and I think it is time to try it. I have very oily hair at the roots and I can't go for more than a day without washing. Hopefully this will help!
ReplyDeletehttp://liveitinerantly.com
Oh I'll have to read that, thanks for the suggestion! So just baking soda for shampoo, nothing else? Hmm wonder if my easily greasy hair would go for that
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to see that you're going 'green' too! I've been trying to swap out my 'bad for me' products for a little while now. Definitely going to have to check out that book! Thanks for the heads up!
ReplyDeleteWow I'll have to read this book! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely going to have to check it out.
ReplyDeleteI love the comparison of what you put in your body is important, so what you put on your skin should be too. I personally don't wear make-up..but I know that the body washes and shampoos I use can't be good for me. I definitely want to try the baking soda & apple cider vinegar trick.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, I think when changing lifestyle habits it should just come a step at a time and as you keep taking those steps you'll begin to see improvements!
-Courtney
www.alwaysrooney.com
leave us some love
xo, him&her